Sunday, June 8, 2014

Why I Do What I Do

After contacting about two dozen gamefaqs users and hearing from many more, some have supported this project but have also raised questions as to why I'm doing this, what I expect to accomplish, and so on. Fair points. I feel like we can go a little more into our goals.

The premise behind Gamefaqs Users Against Censorship is simple: to allow a suitable outlet for users to raise complaints about an overly-aggressive moderation system, regardless of their personal beliefs or affiliation. There are many people who disagree with my views. There are many views I disagree with. But there is common ground to be found in agreeing that your views should not be censored just because they're unpopular, or are popular but were simply opposed by a single person who marked you. I will accept entries from pretty much anyone, and even though I might not agree with everything you want to say I will support your ability to say it.

Some complain that I put too much effort into this little blog these past few days. I say moderators put too much effort into targeting users and overzealously removing their messages. I say they put too much effort into shutting down discussion and locking topics, often arbitrarily, on Hellhole and elsewhere. People who are concerned with the level I'm putting into this need only remember that I'm spending roughly the same amount of time here that I would have spent posting on gamefaqs, if I could state my political beliefs unmolested. They put the effort into silencing me, so I'm putting the effort into taking them on.

Some have also said that my project here is too small and not worth it, there are bigger things to worry about, but then they go on to say that it's too hard to fight city hall and why try because I'm taking on something too big. If it's too small, why not start small, and have some success at improving the boards? If it's too big, then I cannot help but feel this is something that cannot be dismissed as unimportant.

There's no doubt that there are personal motives as well. For years my opponents have labeled me a troll in an attempt to end debate and bring in moderators to close down what is basically political opinion in line with a major party's political platform. They started this conflict, to the point where their malicious rumors have reached the level where lead moderators have called me a troll account in appeals and a veteran moderator said my usermap was something it was not. I have never been banned and I am not a gimmick account. I contribute to the site and cause no problems elsewhere. As long as I am targeted based on false assumptions and straight-up lies, I will go after their reputation the way they have gone after mine. It is a matter of honor. As time goes on you will see the ridiculously-high standard they place upon me, while refusing to follow these same rules themselves.

Aside from the above reasons, I simply enjoy speaking my mind on the issues, something that gamefaqs moderators unfortunately seem to have a problem with. If nothing else is gained from this project, I will know that I at least made my case the best I could make it, the way I wanted to make it, and that it got people talking.

2 comments:

  1. You are a sad, strange little man, and you have my pity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gamefaqs has always been run by a Liberal group of men and women. Don't forget this is the same site that banned users who admitted they informed the media and called the police when a Liberal user was burning down a church and a school and posting about it on CE and taking pictures as he was doing it!

    I know you can get modded very easily for mentioning child molestors like Mike Devlin who was a gamefaq member on the WoT and FFXI boards. He was famously in the news after he kidnapped and raped a boy and the police found another boy missing for years. Klaive someone who used to admit to raping about children again you cannot mention this because its a TOS violation to out child molestors on this site whether they are in jail or not.

    ReplyDelete