Monday, June 9, 2014

TaiIs82 Takes Reader Comments

 Questions, comments, concerns, praise, death threats, we take it all. Send your stuff in a PM to TaiIs82 (or Ninetails82 when I'm warned).

 "This is the best thing to ever happen on this board! I can't wait for Tails to come back now!" -TheRunner PD

A little bit of sarcasm I'm guessing, but I'll take it.

"I don't know Tails, but he's right. I actually got modded for saying 'Liberals don't care about Asians.'...I mean, we are clearly allowed to say on 261 conservatives hate women/minorities/poor people--even though that's an equally blind generalization against an entire group. Or Republicans are disgusting (a post from today), or that conservatives are reprehensible, vile, unlikeable creatures (think that was Orca) and none of it EVER gets modded." --Kicksave-

I don't really care for race-based arguments (I don't think liberals care about anyone), but if people want to make them they should be able to. As you pointed out, we should be looking for consistency. Either the mods come down against all generalizations, or they take the hands-off approach, but right now it's inconsistent enforcement. Personally I'd like to see the hands-off approach because I believe on a level playing field I can win the argument. Going after all generalizations in a political debate would not only cripple debate, mods would be spending more of their time going after political rhetoric rather than actual violations.

If the board dislikes something silly someone said, let the board condemn him through their arguments and not through the moderation system. Keep the nonsense arguments up and you can point to them in the future as to why the guy is pushing nonsense, not just claiming they totally said something crazy but now you can't find it because the mods took it down. Open foolishness is easier to point out.

"It's creepy, this is the kind of guy who snaps and may end doing something terrible." -ROD

Nah. I'm pretty laid back in life. I've often noted the difference between words and actions. My political argument is that some of the worst actions are currently being defended, but more and more speech is seen as prohibited. Speech is harmless. "Words can never hurt me," or you. All I want is to do is speak.

"How is this a controversial opinion? This guy really takes the whole "attacking mods' opinions because they're mods" to a whole new level. >_>" -RuffledPeanuts

What gets me about wally is that this was an unusually lax, easygoing comment from him, compared to how outraged he tends to get over other peoples' opinions...

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/261-politics/66500225

Any politician trying to badmouth all teachers, or who acts like he/she knows more about teaching than actual teachers, should be publicly flogged, forced to teach in an inner city school for a minimum of 1 full school year, and then be publicly flogged again.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/261-politics/64303109

"From: Thanatos the Great | #006
When I'm in charge, incorrect use of  'literally' will be a criminal offence."

I support you in this, assuming that the criminal punishment involves flogging and/or public humiliation."


I don't know how this isn't trolling, if what I say is considered trolling. When Republicans weren't going the way he wanted on a budget bill, wally felt compelled to say this:

 http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/261-politics/65067504
So at what point can we finally put House Republicans in prison and charge them with treason? We've got to be close to that point, right?

So I had remarks like these in mind when I saw him defend the idea that someone shouldn't be held responsible in court if it turns out he committed statutory rape. I believe that's closer to what an illegal activity is under the gamefaqs terms than it is to hold up a budget bill or criticize teachers. While I agree with him that asking for an ID for proof of age would be a silly thing to do, so would asking to sleep with a minor. In cases where you think you might be going at it with someone who's underage, maybe you should hold off a bit on the backseat tango. I think it's perfectly reasonable to find a dude is a little responsible, to say the least, for not knowing the other person's age.

"This is the same guy who filled out a joke mod-complaint form on a Gamefaqs mod's website (who later saved the correspondence and uploaded the picture to said site). What a real nutcase." -Ex-Kefiroth

What's interesting about that is that besides being a personal attack, it's a pretty bad one. It's like if in every topic Error posted in I came along and said "this is the same guy who made this joke mod complaint form all those years ago, so how can we take him seriously? Keyboard cats, really?" Everyone knows Error made a joke form but don't consider the idea that these were joke responses. While I won't go that far, people are taking my response a  bit too seriously.

"Tails is one of the people I enjoy the most. He's such a wonderful try-hard." -Masta Crouton

Thanks. "I'll do my best!"

2 comments:

  1. The Volunteer Moderator system is what's wrong and the fact the most members can piggy back each other and become backseat Moderators. Thats why I find myself on Steam more and more being that Backseat Modding is banned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete